Saturday, December 12, 2009

UFC 107 : Penn vs Sanchez - Picks

UFC 107 - Penn vs. Sanchez, December 12, 2009, FedEx Forum, Memphis, Tenn.


Matchups:


UFC Lightweight Championship
B.J. Penn (No. 1 LW, No. 6 PFP) vs. Diego Sanchez
- As much as I'd like to see Diego take the belt I gotta go with BJ. I don't think there is anyone at 155lbs that can beat BJ right now. Penn is better then Sanchez in every aspect of the game. Penn is not gonna stand in one spot and get hit with machine gun uppercuts like Guida did. I'm rooting for Diego to knock Penn out with a 'YES! cartwheel', but I have to pick PENN by TKO, rd.4.

Frank Mir (No. 4 HW) vs. Cheick Kongo - Mir should win this fight easy. Should. I am going with Kongo for the upset, though. I think Mir believes that he can hang with Kongo on the feet & I expect Kongo to hit him hard and accurate. This is Mir's fight to lose, if he fights smart he'll go to the ground ASAP but I don't think he really respects Kongo's ground and pound game. Whichever way this fight goes I don't expect it to gt out of the first round. Kongo, by TKO, rd. 1. Kenny Florian (No. 4 LW) vs. Clay Guida - Florian is an all-round better fighter but I can see the judges giving Guida the nod if he gets on top of Florian and stays there, regardless of whether he is doing more to win. Some people still argue that Guida won rd. 2 of his fight with Sanchez because he was on top, even though he didn't do anything but get elbowed in the face a million times. Florian by decision. Jon Fitch (No. 2 WW, No. 8 PFP) vs. Mike Pierce - Fitch by decision. It's nice to see Fitch back on the main card.

Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve - Struve has a huge length and reach advantage but I think Buentello's experienced striking and good takedown defense should get him the win. Buentello by TKO, rd. 3.


UNDERCARD


Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia - I wanted to go with Gouveia by TKO but the fact that Gouveia asked for a catch weight and he has poor cardio, leads me to believe he is gonna gas hard after the second round. Belcher TKO, rd. 3


Shane Nelson vs. Matt Wiman - Wiman should give Nelson his walking papers. Wiman by TKO, rd. 1 .


Johny Hendricks vs. Ricardo Funch - Hendricks by TKO. rd. 2.


Rousimar Palhares vs. Lucio Linhares - Palhares by submission, rd. 1.

Damarques Johnson vs. Edgar Garcia - Garcia by TKO, rd. 1.


Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant - T.J. Grant by decision.

No comments: