•Georges St-Pierre def. Dan Hardy via unanimous decision (50-43, 50-44, 50-45) - retains welterweight title
•Shane Carwin def. Frank Mir via knockout (punches) - Round 1, 3:48 - wins interim heavyweight title
•Kurt Pellegrino def. Fabricio Camoes via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 4:20
•Jon Fitch def. Ben Saunders via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
•Jim Miller def. Mark Bocek via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
•Nate Diaz def. Rory Markham via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 2:47
•Ricardo Almeida def. Matt Brown via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 3:30
•Rousimar Palhares def. Tomasz Drwal via submission (heel hook) - Round 1, 0:45.
•Jared Hamman def. Rodney Wallace via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
•Matthew Riddle def. Greg Soto via disqualification (intentional illegal upkick) - Round 3, 1:30
- I picked 8 out of 10 winners correct, round & method correct 3 times. I'm pretty happy with those picks even though this was a very easy card to pick.
- UFC 111 was super fun to watch. I don't know about in the U.S. but GSP fights are quite the event in Canada.
- Every time I see a GSP fight I am not surprised at how dominant he is but more impressed with his opponent for staying in the fight.
After St. Pierre blasted Fitch on the feet and had a 10-8 first round I thought Fitch was done but he proved very durable and made it all 5 rounds.
Everyone (myself included) thought that if Thiago Alves cant finish St. Pierre in the first or second that he would gas and be out of the fight by the 3rd but Alves, although he wasn't winning, kept getting back to his feet.
This time, I thought Hardy was really outmatched. He was, and he didn't have anything to threaten GSP with but I was very impressed that he did not tap from the armbar and that deep, painful kimura. St. Pierre tried his best to finish that fight and a lot of people say that he's boring because he doesn't finish his opponents in spectacular fashion but I love to watch him dominate and grind guys out.
- Carwin is a beast. He did exactly what I thought he was gonna do. It made me especially happy since everyone around me at the UFC party I attended was trash talking Carwin because they didn't know him & I kept telling them to watch Carwin's power. I was even getting text messages telling me Mir was gonna smoke Carwin because he's so much bigger now. After the knock out in round one, combined with the 8 beers I had, I did some tash talking of my own.
- I can't wait for Lesnar vs Carwin in July.
- I really underestimated Mark Bocek against Jim Miller. I thought that this should have won the 'Fight of the Night' and not Hamman vs Wallace. I actually scored it 29-28 in favor of Bocek, but that's what happens in close fights that are only 3 rounds, we don't always get a chance to see who the better fighter is.
- Jon Fitch is another guy, like St. Pierre, that people don't like because his fights always to go to the scorecards, but he dominated Saunders the entire fight and he tried to finish. I like Jon Fitch. I really hope we get to see Alves/Fitch 2.
- I'm not sure if Palhares should get a suspension for his 'slightly-too-long' Achilles lock of Drwal. Yeah sure, it looks bad in super slo-mo but I've now seen it 3 times at regular speed and it happens so fast, and you can see in his face that he is in the 'zone'. I didn't look like he was trying to intentionally hurt Drwal.