Sunday, March 21, 2010

UFC on Versus 1 - Jones vs Vera

UFC on Versus 1
March 21, 2010
Broomfield, Colorado, United States


While I don't think this is a super great card (lot of 'lay & prey' fighters), I am so happy with the Jones/Vera & Gonzaga/dos Santos fights that I am peeing my pants in excitement.


Matchups:

Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera - I am super excited to see 'Bones' Jones back in action. Vera is his stiffest test yet but I think he'll come out with the 'w'. Vera is tough and durable so I think I'll take Bones by a decision but I won't be surprised if he gets a TKO on Vera. The hype on Vera has definitely worn off and he's turned into a gatekeeper for the 205 pounders. Vera seems to have all the tools to be a great fighter but seems reluctant to 'pull the trigger', & has turned into a weird counter striker that doesn't counter. Vera went to decision against Keith Jardine, Krzysztof Soszynski, & Randy Couture, all guys that I think Jones would rip up. Like everyone else, I do think that Jones is the next big thing in the light-heavyweight division & can't wait for this fight.

Junior 'Cigano' dos Santos (No. 7 HW) vs. Gabriel 'Napao' Gonzaga - I am a huge Gonzaga fan & I am very worried in this fight. 'Napao' seems to have all the tools to be a great fighter but he seems to forget how to fight once you punch him in the face, something that dos Antos is gonna do, very hard. We don't know what Cigano's ground game is like and I'm pretty sure that Gonzaga will school him if he can get it to the mat, but I see this going more the way of the dos Antos/Werdum fight. I hope I'm wrong but I'll take dos Santo by TKO, rd. 2.
Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello - I don't see how Buentello wins this. Maybe if he hits rocks Kongo and can get a guillotine, but I think it'll more than likely go the other way. Both guys are stand up fighters and while Buentello may be the better technical boxer Kongo has a better chin and more power. I think Kongo will hit 'the Headhunter' hard and get a TKO, rd. 1.
Daniel Roberts vs. John Howard - Roberts is a good upcoming prospect that will look to submit the wrestler Howard but I think 'Doomsday' will stay out of trouble, get top position and grind out a win. Howard by decision.
Clay Guida vs. Shannon Gugerty - I'm not really sure what to think of this fight. Guida will most likely get top position and lay on Gugerty for 3 rounds and convince the judges he won. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll go Guida by decision.
Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Eliot Marshall - Another fight that should be very boring. 'The Janitor' Matyushenko by very boring decision.
Duane Ludwig vs. Darren Elkins - 'Bang' Ludwig by KO, rd. 1.
James Irvin vs. Alessio Sakara - This fight should be short. Both guys have big defensive liabilities but I think Irvin will land something big and hopefully knock Sakara right out of the UFC, because he doesn't belong there. Irvin by TKO, rd. 1.
Brendan Schaub vs. Chase Gormley - So far I have not been impressed with Gormely. I think Schaub has the most potential out of all the TUF 10 cast (including Roy Nelson). This should be short and violent. I'll take Schaub by TKO, rd. 2.
Eric Schafer vs. Jason Brilz - Again, a guy that is good at getting top position and doing nothing, Brilz is a good wrestler and nothing else. I'll take Schafer by submission, rd. 3.
Mike Pierce vs. Julio Paulino - Pierce is gonna make waves in the UFC and I think he's gonna get a win using dirty boxing from the clinch. Pierce will wear on the less technical Paulino and get a dominant decision.

No comments: