Saturday, August 7, 2010

UFC 117 - Silva vs Sonnen, Tonight!!!

I'm super excited to see one of the most stacked cards of the year. There is only one fight that I don't really care for. I hope everyone watches.

UFC Middleweight Championship Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - I'd like to see Sonnen do well because Anderson needs a fire lit under his ass, but I don't see Sonnen winning this. I'd be surprised if Sonnen doesn't get knocked out. Silva by KO, rd. 1.


Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves - I really don't know which way to go on this one. The best 2 welterweights in the world not named George St. Pierre. Alves has been off for over a year & he could be really rusty, but I'm leaning in his direction. Fitch is a slow starter and in 3 rounds against 'The Pitbull' that's no good. Alves is much better than he was when these two first met & I don't think Fitch will be able to control him very well. Alves by decision.

Clay Guida vs. Rafael dos Anjos - dos Anjos has been on a tear lately and he looks better each time out, while Guida hasn't seemed to improve at all. Guida will try to get top position and 'lay & prey' but I think dos Anjos has better striking, he's definitely better in the Jiu Jitsu department and I wouldn't be surprised if he could tap Guida. dos Anjos by sub, rd. 2.

Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida - I'll take Almeida to beat up on the unmotivated former champ for a decision victory.

Junior dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson - Another hard one to pick, dos Antos has been very hard to get to the mat so we don't know what he looks like, especially if a big guy like Roy Nelson can get top position. dos Antos has great offensive striking but his defense seems to be just backing straight up, which will turnout very poorly for him if 'Big Country' can push him up against the cage. We can see that Nelson is the more dynamic fighter but I'm going with my instincts that tell me Junior's high volume and variety of punches will stop Nelson. dos Antos by TKO, rd. 2.

Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story - Story has really impressed but I don't think he's seen anyone with BJJ chops like 'McLovin'. Hazelett by submission, rd. 1.

Phil Davis vs. Rodney Wallace - Davis is gonna be all over Wallace. Look for Wallace to get his walking papers. Phil 'Mr. Wonderful' Davis by submission, rd. 1.

Johny Hendricks vs. Charlie Brenneman - Hendricks by decision.

Stefan Struve vs. Christian Morecraft - I haven't seen any tape on Morecraft so I'll take a shot in the dark and take Struve by submission, rd. 1.

Tim Boetsch vs. Todd Brown - I couldn't be less interested in this. Boetsch by decision?

Ben Saunders vs. Dennis Hallman - I'm thinking Saunders will get a highlight reel, knockout of the night kinda thing. Saunders by KO, rd. 1.


No comments: